PINKNEY FINANCIAL SERVICES
Retirement Savings Plan
Investment & Savings
Spousal Registered Retirement Savings Plan
Key Features of a Spousal RRSP
- Contribution Limits: The contribution limit for a spousal RRSP is the same as an individual RRSP, which is based on your contribution room. Your RRSP contribution room can be found on your Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- Tax Deductibility: Contributions made to a spousal RRSP are tax-deductible for the contributing spouse. The contributor can claim the deduction on their income tax return, reducing their taxable income.
- Attribution Rules: One important aspect of spousal RRSPs is the attribution rule. If funds are withdrawn from a spousal RRSP within three calendar years of the contribution, the income will be attributed back to the contributing spouse and will be taxed in their hands. This rule is in place to prevent income splitting by contributing to a spousal RRSP and then immediately withdrawing the funds.
- Retirement Income Splitting: Spousal RRSPs offer the advantage of income splitting during retirement. When funds are withdrawn from a spousal RRSP after a three-year waiting period, the income is attributed to the spouse who owns the RRSP. This can be beneficial if one spouse has a higher income than the other, as it allows for more equal distribution of retirement income and potentially reduces overall tax liability.
- Contribution Deadline: The deadline for contributing to an RRSP, including a spousal RRSP, is typically the end of February of the following calendar year. For example, contributions for the 2022 tax year must be made by the end of February 2023.
- Taxation upon Withdrawal: Similar to individual RRSPs, funds withdrawn from a spousal RRSP are considered taxable income and will be taxed at the spouse’s marginal tax rate at the time of withdrawal.
For information regarding the rules and regulations
Schedule an Appointment or Require More Information
Click the link below to book an appointment or give us a call at 780-743-4368
For for 26 years Pinkney Financial Services has been a very important part of my financial future. I’m most grateful for everything they have done for me over these many years.
Proudly Serving Fort McMurray Since 1995
schedule an appointment
Get Started Today
Give us a call or submit an appointment request and we will get back to you as soon as we can.